Jack Behrend Collection
Extent of Collection
172 rolls of 16mm totaling 96,535 feet, 1 roll of 8mm film totaling 50 feet, 1 roll of Super 8mm film totaling 50 feet, 2 1/4 inch videotapes, 1 hi-8 videotape, 2 VHS tapes and 1 3/4 inch tape.
Language Of Materials
Behrend's collection had previously resided at WPA film archive. When CFA incorporated in 2004, Behrend moved and gifted the collection to the CFA. Upon his death, Gordon Weisenborn had deeded his films to Behrend, which Behrend also gifted to CFA.
This collection is open to on-site access. Appointments must be made with Chicago Film Archives. Due to the fragile nature of the films, only video copies will be provided for on-site viewing.
CFA owns rights to all Behrend and Weisenborn film materials. CFA does not own rights to NFBC films.
Jack Behrend was born in Chicago in 1929. After getting a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Behrend joined the army in 1951. Upon leaving the army in 1953, Behrend became a partner in his father's business, selling and renting used motion picture theater equipment. Two years later, Behrend and his father decided to market their business towards television companies, where there was a greater degree of growth than in movie theaters. He worked as a professional industrial filmmaker from the 1950s until the 1990s. In the early 1970s, Behrend worked with the Director's Guild of America to set up a committee that acknowledged films being made in Chicago. For over ten years the committee held monthly film screenings first at the Sheraton hotel, and then at a space above a wine store at 745 N. La Salle street.