The Chicago Daily News, a Chicago evening newspaper, documents the local happenings:
- In honor of Carl Schurz, 75,000 of the German enclave come together in pageantry and celebration at Soldier Field.
- A Springfield telephone operator ordained as the 1929 Miss Illinois.
- Along Lake Michigan, a variety of children compete in a local roller-skating competition.
- The plucking and early arranging of floral bouquets for the annual Garden Club show.
- Veterans from three wars participating in a memorial march.
- Audacious motorcyclist attempting (and failing) to scale a daunting hill outside the city.
- Ray Keech completing 500 revolutions around the Indianapolis speedway first to claim the 1929 title.
- Hundreds of Roumanians taking to the streets in celebration of the tenth anniversary of the "Greater Roumania."