Anti-Cruelty Society Collection
Extent of Collection
9 reels of 16mm film totaling approximately 6,200 feet
Language Of Materials
The films in this collection were housed at the Anti-Cruelty Society's 157 Grand Avenue location until their donation to CFA in December 2015.
This collection is open to on-site access. Appointments must be made with Chicago Film Archives. Due to the fragile nature of the films, only video copies will be provided for on-site viewing.
CFA holds the rights to the films in this collection.
The Anti-Cruelty Society was founded in 1899 by a small group of Chicago women concerned for the welfare of the city's animal population. Amidst national economic struggle and social reform, a small band of dedicated volunteers set high goals: to suppress cruelty to animals, to educate the public on humane treatment, and to create a refuge for strays. The Anti-Cruelty Society opened its first small animal shelter in 1904 at 1898 North Clark Street. Over time and amongst a century of economic ups and down, the organization managed to expand their services dramatically by acquiring rescue vehicles, relief equipment, a rehabiliation and treatment center, spay and neutering support, temporary animal housing assistance, and an educational program. The Anti-Cruelty Society continues to offer their services from 157 Grand Avenue, their permanent location since 1910. Further adoption services are currently offered at 510 North LaSalle Street and 1101 South Canal Street.